Saturday, August 11, 2007

Wizard World Chicago trip

Friday I went down the the Wizard show in Chicago. I haven't gone in about 5 years so I thought it was time to go and try to get some work as well as see some of my old cronies.I went down with my friend Neil Oliver. Neil owns Kowabunga Comics here in oconomowoc. He went down to get some sketches, as well as pick up some Hero Clix. His prize buy was the Fin Fang Foom piece. As you can see in the picture, he's quite proud of it. Sorry for the blurriness of all these pics. I took them with my phone and I have a slight shake in my hand. If you are ever in Ocon, make sure you stop by his shop and say hello.
I also got to see my pals Chris Jones and his girlfriend, Melissa Kaercher. Chris pencils Batman Strikes for DC, and Melissa is an awesome colorist. She and I are working on Femme Noir: The Dark City Diaries together. Chris and I have known each other for many years now and hope to work together again in the near future. He doth draw mightily!he is also quite funny. many a Fallcon we have cracked each other up so bad we almost had to be taken to the ER.
This tall drink 'o water is Mike Norton. Mike and I first worked together back on the Badger with Mike Baron. We went on to create Dr. Goyle, a humorous Hellboy type character. Mike now draws The Atom for DC. I'm really glad he's had a lot of success these last couple years. He's really talented and has worked his ass off. We're trying to do something together in the future as well.


Bill Reinhold has been a friend of mine nearly my entire career. i first learned inking from John Nyberg. John inked Nexus at First comics where Bill was drawing the Badger. I met Bill at Chicago almost 20 years ago now. I've helped him out on a few books he was inking. He's given me a page from almost every project I've worked on with him. That shows you how classy a guy he is. Bill's family is practically my second family. I've watched both his kids grow up, and his wife Linda is just a great lady.Anybody messes with them, they answer to me.

This man is one of the greatest artists ever to grace the page of comics. I grew up reading his Micronauts and just drooled over his Avengers Annual # 10. Saw the drama of his 'Nam and saw his jaw-droppingly awesome Jurassic Park dinos. TwoMorrows publishing just released a book on his career and needless to say I got my copy autographed. All bow before the great Golden!

I gave some samples out to the usual suspects: Marvel, DC, as well as Aspen, Moonstone, and a few others. We'll see what comes of it all. Overall a good time. Seeing all my friends makes me sad I don't see them often enough. Hopefully I'll be working with them soon! Met a lot of new folks and added their links to my list. Check them out, and tell them Mark sent ya! Now I'm looking ahead to Fallcon in Minnesota. So far away yet so close. Damn, I have a lot to do before then!


No comments: