Monday, August 13, 2007

Good-Bye Mike...

These are the kinds of things that make me just ill and creeped out. I'm on Comic Space a mere 10 minutes prior to this post. I see Mike Weiringo is on there, so I decide to befriend him. I then go to Skottie Young's site 2 minutes later and see that Mike Weiringo died yesterday! Mike was was of the good guys, not just as an artist but as a human being. I met Mike almost 10 years ago when I was creating Dr. Goyle. he was at a 2 day show in Chicago where I was showing a small 3 page intro to the character. I introduced myself to Mike and showed him the stuff. He said he thought it was "super-damn cool", and hoped it would sell a ton. He said it looked like the kind of book that kids especially would enjoy, which was my intent. I asked him if he would mind giving me a quote to use in promoting the book. He said he'd be glad to. For a pro who was struggling to stay in this biz, this was a boost to my ego. It helped to keep me going through times i felt like quitting.We kept in touch, though not as much as I would have liked to. But I picked up Mike's work whenever I could and always loved his storytelling style. He was truly unique, because his stuff looked so effortless, and had such a childlike quality to it.I will miss him..a lot. ButI feel bad for all the future generations of comic readers who will miss out on all the future things Mike had waiting in those pencils of his, and all the things that made Mike such a good person to know.Good-bye Mike. Can't wait to see the comics you're making now.

No comments: